Friday, January 10, 2014

The Beginning

  Well, here I am. My whole life in front of me, beginning my new adventure, living my dream. Although 2013 was a very hard year for Jason and I I found a new love, that is really a old love, in quilting. I have always been interested in the past. Why we do the things we do and how we do them. 

  When I was young and still today my momma would drag me around with her to antique shops. We would step in and the overwhelming sense of the past enthralled me. I would go off by myself and touch almost everything. The smell of "old" would get me so excited, if you love old things you know what I mean. I would then hold the item trying to connect myself to the past. I would wonder who touched this or who wore this, we're they happy or sad, were the rich or poor, what was their ethnicity, did they love this item as much as I did just holding it.  I was a peculiar child, but I think that's why I love the way I am.




  My absolute love of anthropology and the need to know everything has driven me to study. Study what you ask? Well, old not new. What makes us who we are and who we've become. That stuff just makes my head spin! I love it!

  I am a quilter first and foremost. I love making and sharing. All I think about almost everyday is getting into my Quilt Lair and sewing up a storm. I love the feel of cotton and the beautiful colors awaken my senses. About the middle of last year I decide to look at old quilts for some inspiration. I have a belief that we must learn from our quilting fore mothers if we are ever going to understand quilting as a whole. Well, I came across the American Quilt Study Group floored, there a group totally devoted to researching all these fabulous quilts! What?! I quickly read the whole site and decided this was for me. Then I saw that they had a Seminar. Double What?! Then there was a Scholarship to go to the Seminar. Ok, by this time I was about to pass out. This was so for me, and if you know me this stuff is right up my little alley.


  I filled out the application on the very day it was due. I sent it in and a couple of weeks later, guess what, I got the scholarship! The Seminar was in beautiful Charleston, SC in September. It was such a treat for a newby like me. I soaked up everything. I met so many wonderful researchers and quilters and people who believe in what I want to do. I got mentors and life long friends. I got to touch and, yes, smell old fabric. For this little sheltered southern girl, I was absolutely blown away. This was by far the best thing that ever happened to me next to being born and marrying my husband.



Now my journey has begun, and in the last few months I have ventured into awesome things ( more to come on that later.) my life has changed dramatically and I love every single solitary sweet second of it.

I do hope you follow along in my adventures. It will be fun and mostly entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment